Enjoy some of the photos of our newly opened Canaan Drupadi at Jl Drupadi 1 no 11B (next to Coco Express).
Naruse Kiyoshi’s Banana Paper Lantern hangs perfectly above our white counter, a Japanese artisan Naruse has lived in Ubud for many years and we are so lucky to be working with Naruse for the second time. Designing for a small space has its challenges it’s almost like every corner has its multipurpose. Here are some tips we found were very useful when we collaborated with Zhi Xiong Chan of ZXC Studio for Canaan Drupadi, a compact 35sqm nook.
• find your natural light source and try as much to design around it.
• keep everything light meaning if you have a clean palette as a starting point then don’t overpower it with big bulky furnitures.
• divide the space, we have a coffee shop and a boutique inside so it was important to clearly have our own workable areas and we designed specifically for our needs.
• be more practical first then when the necessaty items are done you can add the things you love, for us it was the Japanese lantern, the Noren curtain, and of course you can never go wrong with fresh flowers and some naturally scented candles.
• have fun with it because you’ll get to enjoy the space for many more years to come.
There you go! Do you have any other tips for designing small spaces?